Wednesday, May 11, 2011

WPC Prompt 2

WEELY POETRY CHALLENGE PROMPT 2

I happen to greatly admire Ginsberg's poem "Howl."

Don't worry; I'm not going to geek out on you. I'm just suggesting a prompt, alright?! Sheesh...relax already!

In that poem exists one of the most famous phrases in all of English-speaking 20th century poetry, the "hydrogen jukebox."  For anyone who's never read "Howl," or needs a quick refresher of what the heck a hydrogen jukebox is and means, click here: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/179381 .

So the prompt I'm going to be working with (and indeed, maybe some of you???) is to take two usually separate ideas/images and juxtapose them in a way that hints at current pop culture as well as the deeper issues of the current social, political and economic climate.

Said poem doesn't necessarily have to be based entirely on that juxtaposition, as long as there's one "hydrogen jukebox"-esque phrase somewhere within its bounds.

Wish me luck! I'll report back with a poem on Monday. Happy writing, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment