Sunday, May 1, 2011

Listening to the Whippoorwhill

NAPOWRIMO Day 30

Good gracious me...made it, barely. I have to say I am an awful poet when there's a daily deadline to be met! I would however, be interested in a weekly version of a poetry challenge, maybe for a year or till the end of the year or something. My brain just doesn't churn out poetry once a day, I've discovered.

But I would never have known that about myself had I not tried the NAPOWRIMO daily challenge, so overall I'm quite pleased with myself.

Here's [to] the last one....

Highways

In the nights there are roads that lie quiet
and untraveled but for the blowing wind.

The pavement is black as the night itself
so that together, the roads and the night

are the unfathomable distances
of a soul full of dark and wondrous things;

nocturnal miracles, thought to be glimpsed
only by fortune and by destiny.

Or headlights, perhaps, to brighten the dark.

1 comment:

  1. Liked the pitch dark image throughout the poem and the surprise with light. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete