Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tuesday Teaser

Though it's technically a re-read, it's been so long since my first perusal I barely remember it. Frankly, I remember the writing style being much more refined when I read it the first time; I find myself glazing over large chunks of text. But it is still an enjoyable read all the same, if not so good as I remember.

Here's the tease:

"This is why dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does, and sometimes consume us completely. During the rest of the spring and all that summer following the letter, I felt like a child lost on a lake in the fog." Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Walden


Incidentally, if any of you are geeks like me and are curious about what real Kyoto geiko and maiko culture is like now, there's a pretty neat BBC production that follows a young girl, then named Yukina, during maiko training. She's now been a full geiko since ... hmm ... October of last year, I think. Here's the link: 

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDGTUm2vBc

No comments:

Post a Comment