Monday, September 26, 2011

World Without Imagoes: Platform Challenge 2

It's that time again ... the Platform Building Campaign's second challenge! Here were the guidelines for this one:

"Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should:
  • include the word "imago" in the title
  • include the following 4 random words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate," "synchronicity,"
  • If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make reference to a mirror in your post.
For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!"

And we're off!



World Without Imagoes


Waves of reality ebbed and flowed over the young woman, subtly, until finally she left her world and entered another.

***

Hello?

She stood. Tried to call. She had no voice.

There. The grasses of the sunlit savanna parted.

Greetings. But this wasn’t spoken either. She merely saw it — a svelte mass of muscles and height, like a horse. It…thought…at her. Its mouth didn’t oscitate in any way.

What is this place? Mirages waved over the sunlit savannah.

A place of newness. Make home here.

But what of my own world? But there was no sign of the way through which she’d entered.

Crimson rivers. Miasma. Death hatred split atoms. Good to leave. Live here die there. Its thoughts were disjointed, chaotic. Tongue flicked over lips.

What do I do here? In her memory, bubbling lacunae of knowledge burst…her mind blanked. She too licked her lips, mirroring the creature.

Learn.

Of what?

Of the newness. Its synchronicity. Of all of us, and more. Behind the creature now stood hundreds, thousands of others. Her kind. It’s kind. Others. Just…others.

Oh. She felt very small. I’m Grace.

Come. We have much to do. Make home here, it said again.

And they all smiled.


18 comments:

  1. I can't seem to load this on Rach's page. Anyone else having trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice work! Love this. Try loading it again. It looks like several people may have been trying to post at the same time today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece! I'm intrigued and want to know more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something truly creepy about this piece of writing, but in a good way. Like, I sense no peril is going to happen to Grace. But that doesn't mean there won't be. Now I'm hooked.

    Great job, Jes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks lovelies!

    ~Yeah Maeve, I got it uploaded later the next day.

    ~Golden Eagle, I think I have a problem about writing shorter peices, lol, in that they never feel finished. More is always an exciting possibility; I'm happy to know you think it beautiful.

    ~I'm glad it creeped you out, David. Hope that doesn't sound creepy. har har. :)

    I'm off to do my own reading, now, toot toot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful and unsettling at the same time. Great job!
    Mine is #3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to know more about this world. My interest is piqued.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of the challenge words. It's intriguing - would like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to vote on the grounds that you are the first to use lacuna in the plural :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone!

    I wasn't sure if we were even "allowed" to use the plurals, but...a girl's got to try, right?

    Hope everyone's weekend and writing is going well! I'm off to your blogs, yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued and want more :) Great take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A deliciously daring use of the words . Excellent presentation and delivery in true Jes-style !
    My entry is no.# 185 .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely need more. I really liked this. Good job. I'm #125.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good work. Very uniquely done. I enjoyed this. Leaves a lot to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh nice one - really enjoyed that - the thing about stories that you want an ending is that after the initial comp. they can be enlarged if so desired and made into a longer short story

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent micro fiction; word usage; creative story; and fun to read. I loved your story.

    #188

    ReplyDelete